Saturday, January 24, 2009

something to stand on

We were actually speechless as the door swept open to reveal..... our hardwood floors! A. (our builder) had called me at the office around noon and I said, "Hey I heard the floors are going in today?" He responded that they were already done-- they had five guys over at the house starting early and they were finished by noon! I was giddy with excitement heading over to the house with M. after work... but seeing the floors was weirdly overwhelming. M. said his heart was pounding as we walked around and we only spoke to one another in the hushed tones you might use in a large cathedral. (Usually we're laughing and excited and running around like kids in a candy shop).

So this was a bit odd.

I think, honestly, even after a year and a half we're still in a bit of shock over the whole thing. I was saying to my mom yesterday how there's still a phantom house in my mind-- our old house-- that some part of me thinks that we're headed back there.... seeing this new house is sometimes, well, overwhelming. Wonderfully overwhelming, don't get me wrong, but it's funny when emotions bubble up to the surface that you're not expecting. Another thing I said to my mom is that with each step of this progress I've felt a weight lift off my shoulders that I didn't even know I had been carrying around. Seeing the hardwood floors... wow, big weight lifted. It looks more and more like a real house.


View into the kitchen/dining/family room.
Front bedroom.

Master bedroom.

I don't even know what else to write except: wow. I really would have been fine living in the glorified tree house (before the sheet rock was even put up) this, now, is like beyond beyond. I can't imagine what I'm going to feel when the kitchen starts going in (on Monday!!!) or the tile.... or paint or, my goodness, when our furniture actually goes in.
We're headed over to the house now-- our builders have been there since seven am. They are hanging interior doors and trim. Then we're heading down to the soapstone yard to hopefully actually pick our slab. I should have lots of photos to post this evening....

1 comment:

  1. First of all your floors look wonderful! This was a beautifully written post, it in fact made me tear-up....I hadn't named it, but ahhh the 'constant weight on the shoulders' is so true. For me the constant stress of making the perfect decision can be overwhelming- I live in fear of making the wrong choice and having to live with something I won't like. The process is educational, and we feel so fortunate to be able to do it in the first place, but all I really want is to live in my home again. I am tired and weary as it has been a very long couple of weeks... so you post has given me hope. Thank you for that.
    I am so very happy for your great procress. Sounds like you have a good team since they are all working on a Saturday! You'll have a blast at the stone fabricator- we did that this week too! j.

    ReplyDelete